Sunday, March 09, 2008

this little one of mine

She will never know how much I love her. She is my first. There is something special about each little child but she is special because she is my first. There are so many things that I love about her and admire about her. There are many times that I think that she is turning out to be such a wonderful and special little girl even though I feel I have made so many mistakes with her. Like I said, she is my first, she is like an experiment. I wonder if as a mom you ever feel like you have things figured out. I always felt like my mom knew exactly what she was doing. I never feel like I know exactly what I am doing! I often feel bad because I feel like I expected way too much from Ellie at such a young age. Tonight I was thinking about this as I was talking with her and telling her about when she was a baby, she loves to hear about when she was a baby. She was such a good little baby a great sleeper, great eater, and was never that fussy. But Ellie was all that I knew, I didn't realize quite how easy she was. I remember at her first birthday thinking that she was so big. I always thought that she was big and felt like she knew what was going on. She loved to talk and had quite the vocabulary at a young age, maybe that is why I expected so much from her. Sometimes for me it is very scary being a mom, you just hope that you do something right. I want my kids to know how much I love them but I also want them to know certain things are expected. I always knew my parents expected great things from me and my sisters and brother. I have a lot of learning and growing to do, I just hope that my kids can endure it!

Here is my cute little Ellie when we first moved here at the age of 2, it feels like yesterday I was taking this picture. She loved this green frog and every time we go back to the aquarium she climbs right back on top of it. I have figured out one thing, that time goes by way too fast to not treasure every moment with them.

Ben got done at the hospital early so we checked Ellie out of school a little early and went to the aquarium on Friday. The moment she saw the frog she climbed right on top. She is now my big 5 year old but to me she will always be my little baby.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Candy said...

Ellie,
You look so cute on that big green frog. I can't believe how fast the time goes. It seems like yesterday you were a new little baby now you are such a beautiful little girl. We love you Ellie. Grandma Candy
Have a fun day at school.

Holly said...

Wow, this was so touching. I need these reminders constantly. I love that you have those pictures to show how much she has changed.

Karen said...

Oh Melissa, this was so sweet, but I MUST correct you on your very first sentence. She WILL one day know how much you love her. I know exactly what you mean about that first born thing. There's nothing like it. And you can bet when she has her first child, she'll know exactly what you're feeling right now. I don't think I fully appreciated my Dad until I had my little Matty. You're also learning that even your Mom didn't have it all figured out ... but you thought she did and that's all that mattered. I know that your kids will also claim that you had it all figured out. You should be very pleased with your efforts and find peace in what they should offer.

Kendra Meyers said...

You truly seem like an amazing Mom, Melissa. How fun to see the difference in Ellie as she has grown up. I'm glad you can see how precious time with your little ones is, I think I really struggle with appreciating my girls while they're little. Thank you, thank you for reminding me how special this moment in time is.

King Family said...

make me cry...you express yourself so well and really say what so many mom's have a hard time saying...what a cute girl...

Sommer said...

Oh Melissa, you are the cutest mom. Always so thoughtful. I can't imagine that you have made any mistakes as a mom. Seeing these pictures just breaks my heart for you.

shelby said...

There really is something about your first! I also think that I cant imagine you making any mistakes with your kids. I see you as a really patient and giving person, and Mom!