Our sweet baby cubby.For those of you who don't know we had a big scare with Sara this summer. After several months of thinking about it, I decided that it was something that I wanted to write down for me to have. To always remember the wonderful blessing of her in our lives. It was July 7th and Ben had already come down to Arizona to start his Pediatric Residency. I was busy packing up the house and taking care of the girls. Ellie was on the swim team so this day my dad said that he would take her and watch her practice. I stopped by my mom's house before going to the grocery store. Sara was getting tired so my mom said she would be happy to watch her while I ran to the store. So I rocked Sara to sleep and layed her in my mom's crib. She rarely slept at my moms and I remember laying her down and thinking that it was chilly in the basement so I got her a blanket and layed it on top of her. I went upstairs and talked to my mom for a second and then went back downstairs to check on Sara before leaving to the store. I have always been one to check on my babies every 20-30 minutes during naps because I worry that I won't hear them if they wake up. I ran to the store and was gone about an hour. My mom had gone and checked on Sara at about 12:00 pm (40 minutes after I left). When I got back to my mom's house at 12:35 I took Anna upstairs in my mom's house to turn a show on for her. I then went downstairs, my mom had just walked down and was walking out of the room holding Sara. Immediately I knew something was wrong. Sara was completely limp and was pale white and hot and sweaty. We ran her upstairs and started putting cold water on her feet and face. I remember that I just kept saying, "she is not okay mom, she is not okay." She would open her eyes for just a moment and then they would just roll back and she would just go limp. After several minutes I layed her on the floor and started undressing her. My mom had called the paramedics and they came as I was getting her undressed. They started to check her and finally she started to come around. The paramedics decided that we needed to take her to the hospital to make sure she was okay. So we put Sara in the ambulance and they started an IV because of dehydration. By the time we got to the hospital she seemed to be coming back around. We stayed in the emergency room for an hour to make sure she was hydrated and back to normal.
The conclusion was that she got too hot and started to fall deeper and deeper into sleep eventually maybe not being able to wake up. She had got the blanket wrapped just around her head and was stuck in the corner. It is something that I think about every day. What a blessing it was that my mom went to check on her. In that moment I was reminded how fragile our life is and how quickly it can change. I remember praying so desperately to Heavenly Father that little Sara would be okay. I feel like Sara is my little angel. I am thankful to know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who hears our prayers. I know that Sara is meant to be here with us. She is so special to me and I have an overwhelming sense of gratitude for each day that I have with her.
No comments:
Post a Comment