Saturday, February 23, 2008

It's Official

I have been waiting to post this blog to see if this was really happening...
I remember the first Sunday after we had moved here almost 4 years ago, I met this cute girl named Sara that was moving out. They were here for medical school as well and her husband was going to do several away rotations to get ready for residency. I remember like it was yesterday we were standing in the church foyer and she said, "I am so sad to leave our little house, this was the first house that I made my first pot roast in!" I remember laughing and thinking "I will never be sad to move away from this place." Those first couple months I felt like I was counting down the days of the 4 year "sentence" (at least that is what it felt like) we had been given by being accepted to medical school in New Orleans. But here I am about 4 years later feeling the exact same way Sara felt.
This is where I learned to enjoy cooking, I have found a new love of working in my yard, we learned so many things with just our little family, Ben and I really learned to rely on one another, and last but not least we have met some of the most wonderful and kind friends that have become like family to us. So we still have until August to stay and we are going to continue to enjoy every minute!



The plan for the moment is for Ben to finish up all of his required rotations here in New Orleans and those will all be completed by the end of July. We think that Ben has finally decided on Pediatrics, so he will be doing the rest of his elective rotations back by our family starting in August, but Ben will still do some away rotations in different states so he can figure out where we want to go for residency. We both were laughing the other day because I said, "You really don't know what you are signing yourself up for when you choose to go to medical school" just because of all of the unknowns that you run into. You don't know where you'll be accepted to school, you don't know where you'll be accepted to residency and you kind of just have to go where the wind blows you until the whole thing is over. Come to think of it maybe that is why we are here, to teach me to be a little more flexible:)
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Amy Morris said...

I can't believe it's been 4 years! Wow, time flies!

Sommer said...

Oh wow! What started out seeming like you have been gone forever, actually now seems to have flown by fast- at least for me. It is exciting to move on to the next step in your life, and sad to leave your last. Ben would be a great Pediatrician. I would sure love you guys to move back so I could take my kids to see him.

Kristel said...

Oh, that's really sad for us! But exciting for you. I guess we still have until August right?

Holly said...

The house and yard are so cute, I would have a hard time leaving it behind!

Wow, it is official! Good luck with all of your future decisions and changes. Pediatrics is great. That means I get to call you guys and bug you at home when I have a question. Our only MD friend has specialized in radiology and that isn't too helpful.

I'm kidding, sort of.

The Jesperson Family said...

4 years has just flown by! Way to go you guys! It isn't easy living away from "home," but we've learned in all our ventures that home is where your family is, it really brings you closer together.

Ben will make a great Pediatrician. Good luck with all the other plans and decisions, hopefully Utah is where you will someday end up permanently, we'd love to take our kids to him!

Karen said...

Learning to be flexible is priceless!

We have some friends in our neighborhood who went to Medical School in New Orleans about 20 years ago and they still keep in touch with all of their friends that they made there. They have very happy stories from there.

Congratulations!

Summer Jensen said...

Wow, 4 years! That is amazing! Terran and I are actually moving in June to Montana where Terran will start the Physicians Assistant program! I am nervous to be away from family,but excited at the same time! Ben will be an awesome pediatrician! I am excited for you guys. Congrats!

shelby said...

I need a new pediatrician, so move back here! I just cant believe all you guys went through there! I hope you really do end up here!

Megan Adamson said...

Livvie had a lot of heath problems when she was born. She ended up having two different surgeries before she was 1 and a half. I LOVE my pediatrician. He always makes me feel like I am the best mom. Even when I am crying in his office on our way back to the hospital. We need more doctors like him. I am sure Ben will be a great one. Good luck with everything. Megan

Becky T said...

Oh, how sad for us! But happy for you guys! For some reason, I was always thinking you had one more year here, so I was surprised to read this! We will be so sad, but we'll definitely have to make the most of it until August. We think the world of your little family! (and I know I will have those same feelings if I ever end up leaving here. There's just something about NOLA...)

Oh yeah, Ben will be a great pediatrician too!

Kallas Family said...

It goes by way fast!! And I promise you residency goes by even faster. Congrats!

aidanjordan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
King Family said...

Congrats! I think I have realized that you always leave a part of you where ever you go, as cheesy as that sounds.

Nicole said...

Why did I think you still had a year? ooooh. So, very, very sad. Are you appling in this area at all?

Ashley said...

Wow! Congratulations! 4 years...what an accomplishment:) I agree with Mary and hope you're back around here someday. It would be AWESOME to take my kids to someone I trust. Good luck with everything. keep us posted!

Lacy said...

That is awesome. I need to have your attitude. With my husbands job, there are always chances of us moving and I freak out. I needed to read this post and realize that I can do it!! If you do end up here, Ben would immediately have a ton of patients! Everyone would want to come to him!

Clawson Family said...

We're excited you guys will be back in Utah for awhile! Ben will be a great pediatrician!

meg said...

I can't believe its been 4 years, either. What are your plans when you get back. How long will you be here? I didn't even know any of this...

Melissa said...

For those that were thinking that we had another year, this happened kind of suddenly. Ben still does have a year but he needs to do some rotations in the West. With Ellie being in school it was either I stay here and he goes back or we can all go back and Ellie can go to school there. Ben needs to do some rotations where our family lives so we thought it was kind of silly for me to stay here. This way when he does rotations in different states we will have family around so hopefully it will make it easier to visit him. It was really a quick decision. We will wait and see how things work out!